The purpose of the page is to create a forum for students and community members who are interested in volunteering, and to help promote the project through the community.
CLUB VISION STATEMENT
Rotary Club of Parksville A.M. is a service club of community leaders who work within the local and world community to make a difference.
CLUB MISSION STATEMENT
Rotary Club of Parksville A.M. provides service to our community and advances world understanding by building on the strengths of our members.
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 8
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 7
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 6
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 5
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 4
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 3
Rotary Team Mexico: Day 2
With thanks to Team members Jane Walker, Diane Luke and Bill Rawlins for taking the time at the end of each exhausting day to supply write-ups and photos so we can all share in this experience.
Rotary Team Mexico on the Job Site!
The Rotary Club of Parksville AM is active in the international community. In 2015, the Club supported the construction of a shed to house a corn mill in Sunyani, Ghana. This was necessary to protect the machine in the wet rainy season in order to ensure the harvest of the corn crop. This project was a partnership with the Rotary Club of Nanaimo North and the community of Nanketiwa in the Sunyani Municipal Assembly.
In 2016, the Club is undertaking a second project in Ghana, this time to provide desks and white boards in classrooms at Wawasua School. Stay tuned for photos when this project is completed.
Rotary consists of neighbors, community leaders, and global citizens uniting for the common good. Below are some of the current projects supported by the Rotary Club of Parksville AM:
In the Community ...
• Rotary supports children through "Coats for Kids", SOS programs for children, and through "Building Learning Together" initiatives such as Munchkinland and the WOW Bus.
• Rotary supports youth through partnerships and scholarships Secondary School, through drug awareness education, through local 4-H groups, and through a bi-annual trades fair for high school students.
• And Rotary supports those going through sickness and hard times through the ALS Walk, the Parksville Mental Health Group, diabetes and cystic fibrosis foundations, and the Salvation Army.
Around the World ...
• International projects supported by the Rotary Club of Parksville AM include the provision of mosquito nets and the building of fencing and latrines for a school in Ghana.
• The Club also supports Project Amigo, an initiative in Colima, Mexico that supports literacy programs and provides access to vision care.
• Through Disaster Aid Canada, the Club helps fund emergency shelter, warmth and dignity to people affected by disaster worldwide.
• Rotary launched its Polio Plus program, the first initiative to tackle global polio eradication, in 1985. Since then, Rotary and its partners have helped reduce the number of annual cases from 350,000 to 250, and remain committed until every child is safe from the disease
To encourage public support for the effort to eradicate polio, Rotary has welcomed a select group of celebrities and other notable figures to join a new public awareness campaign: "This Close." Participants including Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, violinist Itzhak Perlman, actor Jackie Chan, Queen Noor of Jordan, golfer Jack Nicklaus, Grammy Award-winning musicians Angélique Kidjo and Ziggy Marley, and conservationist Jane Goodall explain that "we're this close to ending polio."